October 24, 2011

Healthier Oat and Date Cokies

These cookies came into existence because I was thinking about how to make cookies healthier.  I love butter as much as the next person, but unfortunately, my love of cookies means I probably eat way too much butter.  Not a problem except for the whole weight-gain factor.  (That's probably not just the butter though, I'm sure sugar is a culprit as well).  So here is what I came up with: Healthier Oat and Date Cookies.  Am I kidding myself by classing these as "roughage"?

If you don't like dates, try replacing them with some other type of dried fruit.  Apricots, maybe?


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup Self Raising flour
1/3 cup maple syrup (you could use brown sugar instead, I just used maple syrup for another depth of flavour)

1 egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup apples sauce
3/4 cup chopped dates






 

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, line 2 trays with baking paper.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (except dates)
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
  4. Mix in dates.
  5. Roll into balls and place on trays. Flatten each cookie with a fork.
  6. Bake for 8 to 10 min, cool on trays.

1 comment:

hungryandfrozen said...

These sound so good! Love that they have maple syrup in them. And I am all for cookies that have oil in them because butter is so expensive here ;)