September 10, 2011

Chai Tea Cake

Wow, how busy is life!  So many things going on I haven't had a lot of time for blogging lately.

I have a bit of a back log of things to blog.  This cake is one such recipe....



This cake far exceeded my expectations.

I really love chai tea, so this really hits the spot for me.  I didn't expect the chai flavour to be so pronounced, but was very pleasantly surprised!  You can ice it with cream cheese icing, or warm with custard (which is what I did).


Ingredients
2 Chai tea bags
1 cup boiling water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1 tsp mixed spice
60g butter
1/4 cup glace ginger (I really feel this is optional, I prefer it without)
1/4 cup dried apricot, chopped
1 egg
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour


Cream cheese icing
2 cups icing sugar
4 tbs cream cheese
40g butter, softened


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.  Lightly grease a 21cm bundt tin (I used a silicone pan).
  2. Infuse tea in boiling water.  Remove tea bags
  3. Combine tea, sugar, salt, bi-carb soda, mixed spice, butter ginger and apricot in a large microwave safe bowl.  Place in microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring every minute, until butter melts.  Set aside to cool.  
  4. Stir in egg, then fold in the flours until combined.
  5. Spoon mixture into prepared pan, and place on a baking tray in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the inner part of the cake comes out clean.  
  6. Cool the cake in the pan, turn out onto wire rack when mostly cool.
  7. Meanwhile, make the cream cheese icing by creaming together all icing ingredients.
  8. Ice cake and enjoy!

9 comments:

milliemirepoix said...

I like the usd of actual tea in this recipe - I've seen recipes for chai-flavoured cakes that use the spices themselves, but this sounds super simple, no fuss! Also I like that you served this with warm custard, yum :)

Amanda Wallace said...

Hi Hayley!

My name is Amanda Wallace, and I work for Shirley J, a cooking company in Utah. We've got a Dough Enhancer I’d love to send for your sampling and review, so if that seems of interest to you, please shoot me an email so I can get you more information!

Thanks so much,
Amanda Wallace
amandaw@shirleyj.com

HayleyB said...

Thanks Mika, yes, it's really simple and really, really good! :) Especially with custard!

Nathan Zamprogno said...

Hey Hayley,

Just discovered this blog. I had no idea you were such a wiz in the kitchen.

You've inspired me to bake more. I'm more of a soup man. My thing is soups. Perhaps I should start a soup blog?

-Nathan.

HayleyB said...

Thanks, Nathan. Glad you're inspired to bake more. I find baking to be therapeutic! You should definitely start a soup blog. A blog is a good place to collate all your favourite recipes!

Hayley

hungryandfrozen said...

Welcome! I love your recipes, and whenever you have the time to make them appear is fine with me :) chai tea is such a cool flavour for a cake - glad to see there's two of them to make sure the flavour's there.

HayleyB said...

Thanks Laura :). Normal life does get in the way of keeping up with blogging sometimes! And Yes, chai is a great flavour for cake!

Katie K said...

This recipe looks great - going to give it a go as I love chai tea. I don't have a bundt tin though - would a loose-bottomed round tin be ok instead?

HayleyB (Crazy Baking Girl) said...

Hi Katie, it would probably be fine, but you would most likely need to adjust the cooking time. Try for 1 hr and see how it is, if it seems like it's not done, but is getting too brown on top, cover the tin with aluminium foil and cook for maybe 10-20 min longer. Hopefully that works for you!