I have a bit of a back log of things to blog. This cake is one such recipe....
This cake far exceeded my expectations.
I really love chai tea, so this really hits the spot for me. I didn't expect the chai flavour to be so pronounced, but was very pleasantly surprised! You can ice it with cream cheese icing, or warm with custard (which is what I did).
2 Chai tea bags
1 cup boiling water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 cup glace ginger (I really feel this is optional, I prefer it without)
1/4 cup dried apricot, chopped
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
Cream cheese icing
2 cups icing sugar
4 tbs cream cheese
40g butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a 21cm bundt tin (I used a silicone pan).
- Infuse tea in boiling water. Remove tea bags
- Combine tea, sugar, salt, bi-carb soda, mixed spice, butter ginger and apricot in a large microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring every minute, until butter melts. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in egg, then fold in the flours until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan, and place on a baking tray in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the inner part of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan, turn out onto wire rack when mostly cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese icing by creaming together all icing ingredients.
- Ice cake and enjoy!