July 31, 2010

Quick Cinnamon Scrolls

I know I promised I'd blog about other things, but who doesn't love easy cinnamon scrolls? A while back, I posted this recipe for cinnamon scrolls. It was long and involved and the results of that baking adventure were well worth it, but if you don't have 5 hours to spare to make them, then this might be more your cup of tea...

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups self raising flour
1 tbs caster sugar
100g butter, chilled, chopped into small cubes
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease and line with baking paper: a 3cm deep 19 x 29cm base slice pan.
  2. Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  3. Combine milk and egg in a jug. Stir into flour mixture until a soft and sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until smooth..
  4. Roll dough out to a 30cm x 40 cm rectangle.
  5. Combine nuts, brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix together then spread evenly on top of dough rectangle.
  6. Roll up dough tightly from one long side. Using a serrated knife, trim ends. Cut roll into 12 slices. Place slices in prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 20 to 25 min or until golden.
  8. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Ooh, delicious - sounds simple but amazingly good! I like that it's based on a scone-type dough.

HayleyB said...

Me too, Laura. They are really good. And if you're ever lucky enough to have leftovers, they freeze very well, so you can have cinnamon scrolls whenever you want! (Oh hang on, that could be quite dangerous for me! I foresee my figure becoming rounder in the future if I let myself freeze them... )

Norma said...

Looks great! Makes me hungry just looking at it.