May 20, 2011

Bill's Banana Bread

Bill Granger is my favourite chef :) (.... followed closely by Nigella). 

Banana is a favourite ingredient as well (as you can probably tell).  I am forever having dead bananas in my fruit bowl (when they're not so darn expensive), so this is a great use for them.  




Bill Granger’s Choc Banana Bread
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 125 grams unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180C
  2. Lightly grease and line a 19 x 11cm loaf tin with baking paper
  3. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl
  4. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, banana, choc chips and vanilla extract in a separate bowl
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir until just combined
  6. Pour the batter into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until bread is cooked when tested with a skewer
  7. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool
  8. Serve in thick slices with butter (and maybe make yourself a cup of tea to go with it!)

3 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

Yum - I've never really read a lot of Bill Granger but all the recipes I've seen of his look fantastic. I love when supermarkets have overripe bananas going cheap, a perfect excuse to get baking.

Chloe said...

I love Bill! Have all his books. However when I went to Sydney last, I popped into his Darlinghurt cafe for lunch. I was sadley disapointed. :( I have tried this fab bananna bread and I love it too!

HayleyB said...

I love Bill because his recipes are so easy to follow but not overly simple. I like the mix of ingredients he puts together and really love the photography in his books as well. Laura, you should definitely acquire a copy of one of his books! My favourite is Simply Bill. Sadly, banana bread costs a fortune to make these days as our bananas are $12.99 a kilo at the moment (since the Queensland flooding, which damaged a lot of the banana plantations). Luckily these bananas were frozen earlier in the year and able to be used in this recipe! (ok, so it's not a large fortune, but we're used to paying $1.99 or so for bananas usually!)

Chloe, thanks for stopping by! I've been to the Darlinghurst cafe once and I found it to be very good! Why were you disappointed? I'll admit that I didn't think the menu had much variety, but I had the ricotta pancakes and they were beautiful!