January 5, 2010

Muesli Slice

Ok, on with the backlog of recipes to post! I hope you've all had a lovely Christmas and enjoyed your new years celebrations.

I know I'm really not very good at blogging regularly, nor do I think my little introductions are particularly interesting, however, it's always very nice to receive comments from my readers (all two of you that I know about - Hi Laura and Sumara!), and it is certainly handy to keep this blog so that I can find recipes for things I've made previously. I have that many cook-books and recipe magazines, they almost take up a whole bookshelf (which is about 1.5m x 1.5m in size).

Anyway, on to the recipe! This was a huge hit in my husband's office. I think it's because this slice masquerades itself as something healthy with all that muesli and breakfast-y type natural stuff (honey, sunflower seeds, pepitas etc). My husband said this may possibly be the best slice I've ever made. I hope you like it.

Posted by Picasa

Ingredients
3 cups toasted fruit muesli
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup shredded coconut
125g butter, chopped
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Method
  1. Grease a slice tin (16cm x 26cm base) and line with baking paper allowing a 2cm overhang on long sides (this helps you to get the slice out of the pan when it comes time to cut it).
  2. Combine muesli, apricots, slivered almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds and coconut in a large bowl.
  3. Place butter, honey, peanut butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 min or until mixture has thickened.
  4. Add butter mixture to muesli mixture and stir to combine.
  5. Press mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top. Cove and refrigerate overnight or until set.
  6. Remove slice from slice tin, and cut into squares.

6 comments:

Sumara said...

This looks fabulous Hayley. My girls are always asking me to buy muesli bars from the shop, which I hate doing (so expensive & full of additives!) so I'm going to tell them we can make our own muesli bars now!

And I think even with all that butter, peanut butter, and suagr it's still pretty healthy. At least it's full of basic natural ingredients. Plenty of nutrients in there alongside the fat and sugar.

HayleyB said...

Yay, glad you can see the goodness as well as the badness! They are really, really, really yummy. Much yummier than store-bought bars!

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Oooh this looks good. I am pretty mad for those oaty-type slices. Love the sound of the peanut butter in this...may have to give it a go! Will let you know how it turns out :D

HayleyB said...

Hope you like it Laura! :) Oaty slices are wonderful aren't they!

katepickle said...

Oh and I was just looking for a muesli bar recipe! Do you think it would work without the peanut butter???

HayleyB said...

Kate - not sure whether it would work without the peanut butter, maybe, but I reckon it would be a lot more sticky...