January 11, 2010

Home-made Chai flavoured ice-cream

Until recently, I had only made home-made ice-cream a few times; once or twice when we used to own an ice-cream maker, and once when I made the margarita ice-cream from Nigella Express. (If margarita ice-cream sounds good to you, you can see the recipe on Cookie-Baker Lynn's blog). I also recently made the Ginger ice-cream from Laura's blog: Hungry and Frozen, as well as her Chocolate Coconut ice-cream (except I used white chocolate instead). Both were great successes, although I wasn't as impressed with my Chocolate Coconut ice-cream attempt until a few days later, I think it got better with age, if that's possible for ice-cream!

I have always thought I would rather buy ice-cream than make it, but from what I've tried recently, it's not too difficult and you get to add all these wonderful flavours that you would never be able to buy at the shops. This recipe for Chai-flavoured ice-cream is just one example of something that is not available to buy pre-made (at least not here in Australia). I think it turned out rather well.


Posted by Picasa

Ingredients
600 Ml milk
1 cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods, lightly bruised
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup caster sugar
300ml can condensed milk

Method
  1. Place the milk, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat and allow to infuse for 20 min.
  2. Strain the milk into a jug, then set aside.
  3. Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale.
  4. Gradually add the strained milk, whisking continuously until combined.
  5. Return the mixture to a clean saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, for 2-3 min until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  6. Stir in the condensed milk.
  7. Pout the mixture into a shallow container and freeze for about 2 hrs or until frozen at the edges. Remove from the freezer and beat the mixture. Pour back into the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

2 comments:

Sumara said...

This sounds interesting. I usually go for really sweet chocolatey or caramel ice creams but I quite fancy the idea of this one.

My passionfruit ice cream turned out a bit weird so I'm definitely going to try making it again, and a few more recipes too. The chocolate coconut sounds fabulous too. Mmmm.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

What a cool idea! Seriously. Will have to try this. You know I love my ice cream :D