January 25, 2010

Ginger Crunch Slice

This slice is just delicious. For me, it's all about the icing. The base makes it all the more easy to eat the icing without the sweet-ness overkill of eating icing on it's own. I could eat this all day, it is incredibly more-ish. I made this for one of our Christmas gatherings, and I really just wanted to leave it at home in the fridge so that I could keep it all to myself (however bad that might have been for my weight!). I got lots of comments about how yummy it was. Thank you Laura for opening my eyes to the wonderment that is Ginger Crunch Slice!

Posted by Picasa

Ginger Crunch Slice adapted from Hungry and Frozen

Ingredients

Base:
250g soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ginger (or more if you really like the taste of ginger)
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Icing:
100g butter
3 heaped tablespoons golden syrup
2-3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 1/2 cups icing sugar

Method
Making the base:
  1. Set the oven to 180 C. Grease a slice tin (rectangle 16cm x 26cm) and line with baking paper. You can pre-toast the oats if you so desire (it's personal preference, I toasted them the first time I made this, but forgot to do it for the second time - if pre-toasting, just put the oats in the slice tin in the oven for a few minutes while the oven is heating up).
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. (If you pre-toasted the oats, take them out now) Add oats, ginger, flour and baking powder to the butter/sugar mixture.
  4. Stir together until combined but still clumpy. Tip this mixture into the brownie tray, pressing down evenly.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes till nicely golden on top.
Making the icing:
  1. While base is in the oven baking heat butter, golden syrup and ginger in a small pan over a low heat.
  2. When it has all combined nicely, remove from heat and stir in the icing sugar.
  3. When the base is cooked, pour icing over it, and smooth out if need be.
  4. Refrigerate until set before slicing into squares.
I store mine in the fridge, but I think it would be fine to leave it in an air-tight container at room temperature.

4 comments:

stephchows said...

oo these look good! How did the fudge turn out! Hope it was tasty :)

HayleyB said...

The fudge was excellent! It got cheers all round from the people who tried it! And many requests that I make it again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Glad you like it...gosh you're making me want some more now!!

HayleyB said...

I think it's my new favourite go-to slice, cos it's just so easy and tasty and I actually want to make another batch to eat right now! Thanks Laura!