October 7, 2009

Sweet Potato and Ginger Cake

Wait, before you click away due to the hideously ugly photos below, hear me out....

Posted by Picasa
Wow, those photos actually make this delicious cake look rather bad. You might be surprised to hear that this cake is actually really good. Despite the sweet potato (or kumara as it is known in some parts) and ginger... it kind of doesn't sound very appetising does it? I'm not sure what possessed me to make it, but I'm glad I did, because it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten (aside from Nigella's Chocolate and Guinness Cake which I made not too long ago, and was recommended to me by the ever-entertaining Laura from Hungry and Frozen). So moist and satisfying, even a couple of days later. I highly recommend you give it a go... unless you don't like ginger, then maybe you should make the Chocolate and Guinness Cake instead.

Oh, now I know why I decided to make it, the picture in the magazine made it look fabulous... and it has white chocolate icing (yum!). My photos really don't do it any justice at all. Might have to go and make it again just to get some good photos! (....and maybe to eat some more of it).

This recipe is adapted from the Woman's Day "Everyday Food" magazine. This magazine comes out quarterly and is a small and handy size to sit on your kitchen bench as you work. I really like this magazine as the recipes are always quite easy and there's a lot of recipes to choose from. I am a bit of a sucker for shiny new recipe magazines and books (that include photos).

Ingredients

500g Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
125g Butter at room temperature
75ml Maple syrup
75ml Golden Syrup
1/2 cup tightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 3/4 cups plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp salt

White chocolate icing
2 tbs pouring cream
100g white chocolate chopped or broken into pieces

Method
  1. Cook sweet potato in a saucepan of lightly salted water for 15-20 min until tender. Drain well.
  2. Using a food processor, blend sweet potato until pureed (you can also use a potato masher, but you might be at it for a while). You'll need 1 cup sweet potato puree (you can chill any left over sweet potato in the fridge for 2-3 days)
  3. Preheat oven to 180C.
  4. Lightly grease and flour a 6 cup ring cake pan or kugelhopf, shaking out any excess (I used a silicone kugelhopf placed on a cookie tray).
  5. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, maple syrup, golden syrup, and sugar together until creamy.
  6. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
  7. Beat in vanilla extract.
  8. Fold in sweet potato puree.
  9. Sift flour, ginger, bicarb soda and salt into a bowl.
  10. Fold into creamed mixture until combined.
  11. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
  12. Bake for 40-45 min until cake pulls away from sides and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and dry. Cool in the pan for 10 min or so.
  13. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe jug/bowl, add chocolate and cream. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, mixing after each 30 second increment, until chocolate is almost all melted, do not microwave for longer or it is likely to burn. Any chocolate lumps can be stirred vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Set aside for 10 min to cool to room temperature (you can do this in the fridge for a shorter period).
  14. Seve cake warm or at room temperature, drizzled with icing. It's also really good with the addition of vanilla ice-cream.

        3 comments:

        Sumara said...

        Hmmmm... It sounds weirder than it looks, I think. It looks yummy. And I do love white chocolate toppings. :-)

        Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

        This cake sounds amaaaazing. I love cakes that have crazy stuff like vegetables in them. I wish I'd bought a kumara at the markets now, especially as this has white chocolate icing! Will definitely be trying this soon :D

        HayleyB said...

        Sumara, it does kind of sound weirder than it looks. There weren't any chunks of sweet potato in there so it didn't taste strange either. I will be making it again for sure. Also, white chocolate icing makes everything better :) (well, on cakes or sweet things, maybe not on beef casserole or something! haha).

        Laura, it's the first cake I've made that's had any kind of vegetable in it. It's interesting to put vegies in baked goods. I still want to try that beetroot bread you made a while back, oh and that chocolate beetroot cake (you make such interesting things with beetroot!)