July 7, 2009

Pear Bread

Pear Bread. The idea of making pear bread intrigued me. As I've said before; I'm a little sick of banana bread at the moment. So when this caught my eye, I wanted to make it, and make it soon! I love pears in general so the idea of incorporating it into bread was even more appealing.

The verdict: Not as delicious as I had hoped, but still quite good. I would make it again, but I feel this loaf was missing something somehow... maybe next time I would add cinnamon, and maybe a little extra sugar. This loaf was very good as a breakfast bread, but would not toast well due to pear bits probably falling out of the bread and into your toaster.

Oh joy, it looks like I forgot to photograph this one. Sorry. No pretty pictures today.

Pear Bread

Makes 1 Loaf


Ingredients

1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup applesauce
1 banana, mashed
2 large pears, peeled & cored

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180C, grease and line a 8" x 4" loaf pan with baking paper.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Cut 1 and a half of the pears into 1cm cubes, grate the last pear half with a grater.
  4. Stir into the flour mixture: sugar, apple juice, applesauce, banana, & pear.
  5. Stir together gently until just combined.
  6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan or muffin pan 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

I think cinnamon sounds delicious with this - there's a surprising amount of fruit in there but cinnamon would work with all of the flavours happening. This sounds really yum. But I do see your problem with trying to toast it, pears in the bottom of the toaster can't be good...I wonder what pears would be like in a yeasted bread?

HayleyB said...

I was wondering the same thing just the other day actually. I would love to try pears in a yeasted bread, just need to find a recipe I can adapt.... Or, even pear scones might be good! Might have to give it a shot! Cinnamon might be a good addition to either of those ideas too...

Mixed Drink Recipes said...

I have never had pear bread. This recipe looks like a fantastic one to start with!