July 1, 2009

No-bake Lemon Cheesecake

Aimee of Under the Highchair mentioned on Twitter that she was after a good no-bake cheesecake recipe. It so happens that cheesecake is a favourite at my house, and the most-loved type is the no-bake lemon cheesecake. I haven't got a picture this time, it seems I haven't ever photographed this family-favourite, but let me assure you that it is delicious. It is sweet and tangy at the same time, and is not heavy like some of the baked cheesecakes out there. It's really easy to make and has not too many ingredients too, which is a bonus. Simple and tasty, you will love it. Onward to the recipe:

No-bake Lemon Cheesecake

Ingredients
Base:
200g sweet biscuits (I use Arnott's "Nice" biscuits, but it works with almost anything else)
100g melted butter

Top:
500g cream cheese
1 x 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Method
  1. Melt the butter either in a microwave safe jug or in a saucepan over low heat.
  2. Crush biscuits in a food processor until biscuits turn to small crumbs.
  3. Mix biscuit crumbs and melted butter together and press evenly into a 23cm pie dish or spring-form pan.
  4. Refrigerate until firm.
  5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk together with electric beaters until smooth.
  6. Beat lemon juice into the cream cheese mixture until combined.
  7. Pour/scrape the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cheesecake base and smooth out the top.
  8. Refrigerate for several hours until set.
  9. You can decorate the top with fresh fruit before serving if you like, we sometimes serve it with chopped fresh strawberries over the top.

5 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

This sounds gorgeous. I like that it's no-bake since baked cheesecakes, while delicious...can be a bit intimidating! Will definitely have to try this at some stage :)

Aimée said...

Ohh, thanks so much for a prompt reply! Now I love twitter even more.

Can't wait to try.

HayleyB said...

Seriously, this cheesecake is so good, and Laura; it is so much less daunting than a baked cheesecake! I also like the fact that there are no eggs or gelatine in it (as some no-bake cheesecakes have). Any time I suggest to my husband that I make a different flavour cheesecake, he always says he likes this one better. Suits me, because it's so easy! But occasionally I do want to try making something different... I once made a cookies and cream no-bake cheesecake, and it was really quite good, but I guess there's nothing quite like a no-bake lemon cheesecake in my husband's eyes.

Aimee, glad I could help!

If either of you end up trying it, let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Hi how many people does this cheesecake serve?

HayleyB said...

Hi, I would say it would serve 8 people. But it really depends on how big you want to cut the slices. You could serve more people with this size cheesecake, but the pieces would be smaller.