The verdict: Not as delicious as I had hoped, but still quite good. I would make it again, but I feel this loaf was missing something somehow... maybe next time I would add cinnamon, and maybe a little extra sugar. This loaf was very good as a breakfast bread, but would not toast well due to pear bits probably falling out of the bread and into your toaster.
Oh joy, it looks like I forgot to photograph this one. Sorry. No pretty pictures today.
Makes 1 Loaf
1 cup wholemeal flour1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar3/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup applesauce
1 banana, mashed
2 large pears, peeled & cored
- Preheat oven to 180C, grease and line a 8" x 4" loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut 1 and a half of the pears into 1cm cubes, grate the last pear half with a grater.
- Stir into the flour mixture: sugar, apple juice, applesauce, banana, & pear.
- Stir together gently until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan or muffin pan 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.