June 9, 2009

Snickerdoodles - funny name for a yummy cookie

Snickerdoodles. I've always wondered what they taste like. When I first read about them, I thought they would have something to do with the Snickers chocolate bar, which is a favourite, so you can imagine I was very interested in these cookies when I thought they had Snickers in them. Alas, they had nothing to do with Snickers bars at all. The actual cookies seemed a bit... ordinary, I guess., but that did not stop me from wondering what they were like.

So I decided to try my hand at making some. It's the first recipe I've used that had cream of tartar in it. I'm not exactly sure what the benefit of using cream of tartar over baking powder is, but it seems to be used in place of baking powder.

The cookies are good, and surprisingly more-ish. All in all, not a bad cookie, but not one I am dying to make again in the near future. Give them a try, they are not bad at all. And the little balls of dough covered in cinnamon and sugar are yummy on their own (I know you're not supposed to eat raw cookie dough due to potential salmonella poisoning caused by raw eggs, but I ate a couple of balls of uncooked dough anyway). The little dough balls look like those little donut balls they sell at donut shops as "donut-holes".

This recipe is adapted from Bakingbites.com.


Snickerdoodles
Makes about 3 dozen.

Ingredients

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
250g butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Method

  1. Preheat oven to180 degrees C.
  2. Line a couple of baking trays with baking paper.
  3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, cream together butter & sugar until mixture is fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract.
  5. Gradually mix in the flour with a mixing spoon until a dough is formed.
  6. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
  7. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls, then roll each ball into the sugar and cinnamon mixutre.
  8. Place each ball on baking tray.
  9. These cookies will spread, so leave about 5 cm between cookies.
  10. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges.
  11. Cool on trays. Once cool, store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

Sumara said...

I went through a bit of a snickerdoodle phase last year. Made heaps because, as you say, they're so moreish! And recipes for them tend to make pretty big batches, so they're good for having around for lunch boxes.

Yours look yummy, though. Maybe I need to have another snickerdoodle phase...

I've never used cream of tartar either. Is it creamy like the name suggests, or powdered like baking powder?

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Cream of tartar and baking soda always make me a little nervous - I never know how people making up recipes *know* when to use them.

I've tried making snickerdoodles before, they were quite yum - I think it's the sugar and cinnamon. And the great name lol. Yours look pretty!

HayleyB said...

Sumara: Snickerdoodles are yummy, so a Snickerdoodle phase isn't a bad thing at all, perhaps you should indeed, have another phase. Cream of tartar isn't at all creamy, it's a powder and looks like baking powder but I really can't tell you what the difference is, or what the benefit of using one over the other would be.

Laura: Yes, I think it's also partly the great name that makes them so good too! How could you not want to try them with a name like that? For any recipe I've ever made-up (for baked goods anyway) I've always used baking powder. Not sure what difference it would have made if I had used cream of tartar instead. Perhaps they are just interchangeable?? I have no idea. I could probably look it up....