June 20, 2009

Cornbread

I mentioned a few posts ago that I made cornbread and that I would post about it later. Well, that time is now, so here it is. My husband liked this cornbread, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I wanted to recreate the cornbread that I had at a local cafe late last year. This was still good, but just not really what I hoped it would be. My husband happily ate it with the dhal I made. It seems to go well with things you could "mop up" with this bread. I made another recipe which was very different to this one, I liked it more, though it still wasn't what I was looking for. But I can't find the recipe I used for that one anymore. I have a feeling I only used it as a vague guide anyway. So, this is the bread my husband preferred.


Cornbread

Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (in Australia, this is generally labeled as Polenta)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a small bowl, beat together egg, milk and vegetable oil with a fork. Pour mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until flour is moistened and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  4. Spread batter evenly, bake 25 minutes or until golden. Cut into rectangles or squares and serve with something savoury and juicy.

2 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

I hope you find the cornbread you're looking for eventually! I could eat it by the bucketful I swear. I have a recipe that I want to try soon which is all polenta, no flour - making it gluten free, for what it's worth. If it works out to be really nice I'll send you the recipe, to help you on your quest!

HayleyB said...

Me too, Laura! I would love the recipe for your all-polenta cornbread! Thanks! Does your recipe have sugar in it? A lot of the cornbread recipes I'm seeing lately have sugar, but the type of cornbread recipe I'm looking for is savoury.... I really have to go back to the place I had the really nice cornbread, I want to see if it's as good as I remember!