I decided it was time for a change. As much as I love banana bread, I have eaten far too much of it lately.The other week I made pear bread which I will get around to blogging soon, but I was more excited to post this recipe, so here it is! It is wonderful! Very nice when still hot from the oven, but still really good the next day. It's a fairly dense bread, and it toasts beautifully. Try it! Oh yum, I will definitely be making this one again!
Oh and I'm slowly working my way through my Bill Granger cook books (I highly recommend them!), every recipe I have tried so far has turned out well with little fuss. That's my kind of cooking! Yumminess for not too much effort!
bill's Coconut Bread
Makes 1 loaf; or 10 - 12 slices depending on how thick you like your bread.
Serve toasted, with butter.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup caster sugar
150 g (2 cups) shredded coconut (unsweetened)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk (I used skim milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C /350F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan & line with baking paper
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in sugar and coconut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Add in melted butter and stir until just smooth, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn loaf out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool. It's nice with a spread of butter as well!