May 4, 2009

Pear, Banana & Cinnamon Pikelets

Sorry, but there are no photos of this one, as the pikelets were all scoffed down too quickly for me to get a shot. When I spied this recipe in my favourite food magazine (Super Food Ideas), I knew I wanted to make them as soon as possible!

These pikelets are delicious. We served them with thick and creamy pasionfruit yoghurt which went down fabulously. Not your traditional pikelet accompaniment, but delicious just the same. These are great as a morning tea or afternoon tea, (well, really, I would eat them any time of day. Even as lunch if the opportunity presented itself!).

Pear, Banana & Cinnamon Pikelets

Makes approx. 16 pikelets

Ingredients:

1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp caster sugar
3/4 cup skim milk
40g butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 large ripe pear, cored, finely chopped
cooking spray

Method:
  1. Combine flour, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
  2. Combine milk, butter and canilla in a jug, and add to flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
  3. Stir in banana and pear. Stand for 10 min.
  4. Spray a non-stick fry pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Spoon tablespoons of batter into pan. You can cook about 4 at a time. Cook for 1 to 2 min or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn the pikelets over and cook for another 1 to 2 min until cooked through.
  5. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
  6. Serve with pasionfruit yoghurt.

3 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

This sounds like such an amazing combination - I love cinnamon. And for some reason pikelets are so much less scary than pancakes :)

Sumara said...

Yum! These sound like my idea of a perfect weekend breakfast. And I can adapt them really easily to be safe for the kids' failsafe diet.

We often have yoghurt on our pancakes. A little while ago I had fresh blueberries, vanilla yoghurt and a drizzle of honey,. It was SO good.

HayleyB said...

Thanks Laura and Sumara. They really are very good, nice and fruity and the passionfruit yoghurt on top was divine. Morning tea, afternoon tea, any time of day, they are just so good! In the past when I've made pikelets, we always just had jam and cream, but I think yoghurt is my new favourite pikelet topping. Might try your idea of blueberries, yoghurt and honey next time Sumara. This is my new favourite recipe for pikelets, after these, the normal ones seem so plain (oh but they are still tasty of course).