May 15, 2009

Bill's Dhal

Hey, I know this isn't baked, or sweet, but it was still yummy, and I guess that's what I ultimately want to blog about: yummy recipes. It's just that most of my yummy recipes are baked, and sweet. Anyway, I'm posting something different for a change.

Whenever I see the word "dhal", I always think of old ladies that say things like "Thanks Darl". I don't know why. I guess it's because of the way we say "darl" in Australia, it really does sound the same as "dhal". Anyway, moving on.... This recipe is adapted from Bill Granger's Dhal recipe in his book "simply bill". I am rather partial to lentils so this appealed to me right away. The other good thing about it is that you can change the flavour if you feel like something different (I made it the way it is in the book the first time round, but the next time I added diced chicken breast, frozen chopped spinach & chicken stock, and it was still really good!). Best of all, this is really very easy to make. I can pretty much make it without needing to look at the recipe now.

We served this with homemade naan bread the first time, but I forgot to take a photo, and I think naan bread is better fresh from your local indian takeaway place/restaurant, so I won't post the recipe for the naan bread I made. The second time I made it, my husband decided that it would go well with the cornbread I had made the day before. I will post the recipe for the corn bread some other time soon.

Dhal is not the most appetising thing to look at, but here's a photo anyway. And I can assure you it was very tasty.

And here's the recipe:

Ingredients
2 Tbs olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves finely sliced
1 large green chilli, finely chipped
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
250g (1 cup) red lentils
1 tbs lime juice

to serve:
small handful fresh coriander leaves
naan bread

Method
  1. Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil.
  2. When hot, add the onion, ginger, garlic, chilli, salt and cumin and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft.
  3. Add the lentils and 750ml (3 cups) of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20min until the lentils have dissolved.
  4. Remove from the heat and stir through the lime juice.
  5. Top with coriander leaves and serve with naan (or cornbread...)

3 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

I'm partial to lentils too :) Looks great...I love how cheap dhal is, plus it's so healthy so it makes up for the naan bread, right? I've never really tried any Bill Granger recipes but that said I've never been able to find a definitive dhal recipe so maybe this is the one :)

HayleyB said...

Oh yes, lentil-healthyness definitely makes up for the naan bread :)! Let me know if you try the dhal. I can highly recommend all of the recipes I've tried by Bill Granger. They have all been a success :).

Anonymous said...

Had this Dahl recipe last night - all I can say is "yummy"!