I don't know about you, but there are some things that although you can buy it in the shops, if you can also make your own home-made version, you feel like a "proper" cook.... there are some such things I'd like to make, they include the following:
- Jam - I really want to try and make apricot jam, and I think it'd be cool to try pear jam as well. I don't know why I want to make these when they are readily available at the shops (ok, I have only seen one brand that makes pear jam). Can anyone recommend a recipe?
- Passionfruit curd - no idea what I'll use it for yet, but I want to give it a go
- Yogurt - Just so I can make up my own flavours like pear and coconut.
- Preserved lemons - I don't know why & I don't know what I'll use it for!
- Home-made ravioli and pasta - Just so I can say I have made it and see if it really tastes any better than the store-bought version
Such things would also probably include making your own butter and cheese, but I think I'll pass on these and keep buying them in the shops (not so exciting...)
What about you? Is there anything you want to make that would make you feel like a "proper" cook?
I have more things to blog, but no time at the moment, so I will leave you here for now. I made pear pikelets the other day, they were so good! I will blog the recipe next time....