April 5, 2009

Apricot Shortbread Crumble Slice

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I haven't been baking much. We have just moved and the only thing I have made since then that wasn't dinner was our favourite banana bread. I must say that I am impressed with the oven!

A while back, I made this slice, but never got around to blogging about it. It's not my favourite, but it was quite nice. I made it for a Kitchen Tea, but all the chocolate-type slices were eaten before this one. Obviously jam is not as popular as chocolate.


This recipe is adapted from Strawberry Pecan Shortbread Crumble Bars by Nicole at Baking Bites

Apricot Shortbread Crumble Slice
Makes about 24 small slices

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
250g butter, softened
1 large egg
3/4 cup apricot jam

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 Degrees C. Lightly grease and line a 9-inch slice tin with baking paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the butter and egg until mixture is crumbly.
  3. Set aside 2 cups of the mixture, and pour the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Press down firmly and evenly, into the pan to cover the base.
  4. Spread jam over the shortbread layer. Sprinkle remaining crumbs evenly over the top. If the mixture is too wet to sprinkle, simply break it up with lightly floured fingers and spread it out.
  5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool in pan before slicing.

4 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Nice to see you back blogging! It always takes ages to settle in after a move. This looks gorgeous -I'm quite a jam fan myself :) Sounds really easy to make too. Might have to try it sometime...

katef said...

oooooooooh yum!!! drool drool drool!

HayleyB said...

Laura, yes it is quite easy to make, and is a yummy treat for a lover of jam such as yourself. I feel like I am still settling in, still random boxes that need unpacking, but I don't know where to put the stuff!

Kate, drool indeed. Give it a try! You will not be disappointed if you like jam!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Thanks for the recipe, a great way to use up all my jam, FYI the mixture was way too fatty, so i added lots more flour, and hazelnut meal during cooking to soak it all up...still looks gorgeous! Cant wait to eat it.
Thanks, Lynda