Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you've had a good one!
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 firmly packed cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 large baking trays. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar using electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Beat in golden syrup and egg yolk, then use a spoon to fold in flour, ginger, spice and soda until it forms a smooth dough. Form into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bring dough to room temperature then roll out between baking paper to 5mm thick. Use a gingerbread man cutter to cut shapes (or indeed any other shape you desire, in which case you might end up with gingerbread stars or something other than men).
- Space out on trays and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- The biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.