December 15, 2008

Peanut Butter Squares

We went to two weddings last weekend. There was a luncheon/afternoon tea thing that was on after one of the weddings, and I helped out by making a couple of slices. I thought it was the perfect time to try something new, so I decided to make the Peanut Butter Squares from Nigella's book How To Be A Domestic Goddess. (The other slice I made was the tried and true Coconut Ice). The Peanut Butter Squares were very yummy. They have been likened to the American candy: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and I can see why, however this recipe is more delicious in my opinion. Although you really want to keep eating it, it is very rich so it's recommended to cut it into small pieces rather than large.

Ingredients:

for the base:
50g dark muscovado sugar (I used regular brown sugar, and it worked perfectly)
200g icing sugar
50g unsalted butter
200g smooth peanut butter (I used crunchy peanut butter which I think was a better choice)

for the topping:
200g milk chocolate (I used 300g milk chocolate and skipped the dark, as I had none on hand)
100g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Method:

  1. Stir all the ingredients for the base together until smooth.
  2. Some of the dark muscovado sugar stays in rubbly, though very small, lumps, which is not a problem in this recipe so don’t worry about it.
  3. Press the sandy mixture into the lined brownie tin and make the surface as even as possible.
  4. To make the topping, melt the chocolates and butter together (in a microwave for ease, for a minute or two on medium, stir every minute until melted otherwise it's likely to burn!) and spread on the base. Put the tin in the fridge to set. When the chocolate has hardened, cut into small squares.

4 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

These squares are THE BEST. I wouldn't even consider myself a peanut butter fan or anything.I used to love coconut ice when I was younger but now I can't handle the intense sweetness. If it was right in front of me I don't think I'd say no though :)

HayleyB said...

I know, aren't they delish?! And so easy! I think it's my new favourite slice. They are intensely sweet though so I can't eat too much (this is a good thing, I'm sure my thighs will thank me!). Coconut Ice is still a favourite of mine. Another easy one to make!

Sumara said...

Oh gosh. I LOVE peanut butter cups so I can barely imagine how good these squares must be.

Mmmm. I will make this once my blood sugar levels have ercovered from Christmas. :)

HayleyB said...

Lol, yes, my blood sugar levels need to recover after Christmas as well! I think that knowing I can make these pretty much any time I want will hopefully make me not want to buy peanut butter cups any time I am near a place that sells them! (it helps that these are better than peanut butter cups!).... I may have to put restrictions on when I'm allowed to make them though, otherwise they may just become a permanent pantry staple!