December 31, 2008

Hummingbird Cake

Now that Christmas is over, it's on with the show! I feel like I can start to enjoy things again because I don't have a million and one plans or things to do! It's new year's eve and I am hoping for a less crazy year next year. Tonight I think we will be dropping in at hubby's work to watch the fireworks from his harbour-view office window (nice view that he gets to look at every day, except not usually with fireworks!).

I had a nice birthday; a bit of shopping and out to dinner, and a whole lot of birthday messages from friends and family. Fun times :). We also got a new fridge which was delivered on my birthday (but was not my birthday present) and I am still excited about it. Not sure if it's weird to be excited about having a new fridge, but I am!

I'd also like to mention that Sumara makes EXCELLENT lemon butter! I don't know what recipe you used Sumara, but it is superb! Thanks for the jar you gave us, that wonderful husband of mine also loves it! I feel that home made gifts are very special because of the thought, time and effort put into them. Well done Sumara, it was a great idea and great success!

And because it's been a while since I last posted something I baked, I am going to post the recipe for the cake I made recently. It had been a while since I made any baked tasties for my husband's office, so I decided to try my hand at a Hummingbird cake. This turned out really well according to the co-workers (hubby brought the left-overs home because it was the last day of work before the office would be closed, no moldy cake for them to return to next year! So I got to try a bit, and I thought it was very good). I think I will have to make it again some time. This recipe comes from taste.com.au


Ingredients (serves 8)
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup mashed banana (you will need 2 large, ripe bananas)
  • 3/4 cup sunflower oil or canola oil
  • 450g can crushed pineapple in natural juice, well drained
  • Cream cheese icing

  • 60g butter, chopped (I used about 2 tablespoons)
  • 125g light spreadable cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
  • toasted shredded coconut or chopped pecan nuts (I didn't do this, it was fine without).

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan.
  2. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add sugar, coconut and pecans. Stir to combine.
  3. Combine eggs, banana and oil in a large jug. Add egg mixture and pineapple to flour mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently stir to combine. 4 Spoon batter into pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Make cream cheese icing Using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar until smooth.
  5. Spread icing over cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Slice and serve.

On that note, I'll conclude. Happy new year everyone! Hope your 2009 is full of all the good things in life :).

2 comments:

Sumara said...

Oh gosh, thanks Hayley! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I can't say for sure which recipe it was. I tried two recipes and thenonce they were all in the fridge, the jars were mixed up. But it was either this - http://www.slashfood.com/2008/12/14/lemon-curd-gift-of-the-day/

or this - http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2008/11/making-lemon-butter.html

I think I prefer the first one (lemon curd), because it sets up a bit better in the fridge. Although it does leave you with lots of spare egg whites to find a use for! I still have about 2 dozen egg whites in the freezer.

Did you guys enjoy the fireworks? We only saw them on TV nad in the very far distance but they were excellent this year, I thought. Would have been great to see them close up!

HayleyB said...

Thanks for those recipes Sumara! I could quite possibly eat the whole of the lemon curd/butter straight from the jar! It is THAT yummy!

There's heaps you can do with all the left over egg whites, like making Chocolate Macaroons, More macaroons and more macaroons.... If you get sick of them, there's always Meringues
(lemon meringue cheesecake) or this yummy-sounding tart.

I have only tried the Lemon Meringue cheesecake, so can't personally vouch for the other recipes, but they could be worth a try if you're looking for things to do...

Yes we saw the fireworks from Aaron's office. They were really good! Although Milsons Point was quite crowded and it seemed like everyone was about 16 and very, very drunk (which was surpising considering the "alcohol-free zone" that was all of Milsons Point and North Sydney). It would be nice if we could have had people over for new year's, but it's a bit hard to have a big get-together in a one bedroom apartment. Not that we have a great view of the main fireworks anyway, but it's something.