November 19, 2008

I'm back....

I've been so busy the last month or so, and have also been sick, so haven't had much time or inclination to blog (or cook for that matter). I did however make something for an afternoon tea on the weekend which I thought was noteworthy and worth making again. It is the Apple and Blueberry Shortcake from bill's food by Bill Granger. There are lots of good recipes in this book that I really want to try, just have to find the time to try them!

I didn't get any photos of the shortcake unfortunately, but here is the recipe:

Apple & Blueberry Shortcake

Ingredients
  • 4 large Granny Smith Apples
  • finely grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 185g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 155g (1 cup) blueberries
Method
  1. Peel the apples, remove the cores & cut each apple into about 16 slices.
  2. Put the apples, lemon zest, sugar & 2 tablespoons of water into a medium saucepan, then cover & stew over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the apples are soft but not mushy. Allow to cool.
  3. Cream the butter & caster sugar together in a bowl until fluffy & smooth.
  4. Add the egg and mix well. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir until combined.
  5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead until smooth
  6. Divide into two and place in the fridge for 30 minutes
  7. Preheat the oven to 180c.
  8. Roll each half of cake dough into a round approximately 22cm across.
  9. Press one round into a 24cm non-stick springform cake tin.
  10. Spread the apples over the dough, leaving a small border around the edge. Sprinkle with the blueberries.
  11. Place the other round of dough on top & press the edges together.
  12. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, then allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before removing.

7 comments:

Sumara said...

And it was soooo yummy! Definitely worth making again.

I hope you're starting to feel better.

HayleyB said...

Yay, glad you liked it. I didn't have the right sized spring form pan, so I think it turned out pretty good considering it was too small for the pan, and yet it stayed together! I learned my lesson with the meringue part of the other dessert. (ie. Beat the egg whites FIRST!! All the reports said that one tasted ok too though, so it wasn't a disaster I guess!)

Feeling a lot better now, but have been off work this whole week. Tried to go back to work yesterday but was all light headed and feeling feverish, so they sent me home and said come back next week. I just want to be better already!!! (I'm also supposed to go to a hen's night and high tea tomorrow and Sunday and at the moment, still not feeling up to it!)

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. And isn't it crazy how fast the time goes...the shortcake sounds great, I've never actually tried a Bill Granger recipe but I like flicking through his books in shops LOL :)

HayleyB said...

Laura: Yes, I can't believe it is almost December! I'm not ready for Christmas yet!! You should definitely try a Bill Granger recipe! Lots of yumminess to be had!

Kay said...

Hi - visiting from Laura's blog to let you know that I tried your quiche recipe - with my own collection of ingredients, including home grown fresh silver beet. It is such an easy recipe that it has already become an favourite. Thanks.

天然パーマンTENNEN PARMAN [from Japan] said...

Hi, I am Tennen-Perman,E-mail from Japan.
I visited your site sometimes so far.
You have a cool site.
I linked your site in my blog.
I administer a blog talking about cooking.
Please link to my site in your ones if you like it.

http://impact-cook.blogspot.com/

thank you!

HayleyB said...

Kay: Glad to hear the quiche was a success, and that it's now a favourite! It's so easy to make isn't it!

Tennen-Perman: Thanks for visiting, I'll check out your blog!