I didn't get any photos of the shortcake unfortunately, but here is the recipe:
Apple & Blueberry Shortcake
- 4 large Granny Smith Apples
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 185g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 155g (1 cup) blueberries
- Peel the apples, remove the cores & cut each apple into about 16 slices.
- Put the apples, lemon zest, sugar & 2 tablespoons of water into a medium saucepan, then cover & stew over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the apples are soft but not mushy. Allow to cool.
- Cream the butter & caster sugar together in a bowl until fluffy & smooth.
- Add the egg and mix well. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir until combined.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead until smooth
- Divide into two and place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Roll each half of cake dough into a round approximately 22cm across.
- Press one round into a 24cm non-stick springform cake tin.
- Spread the apples over the dough, leaving a small border around the edge. Sprinkle with the blueberries.
- Place the other round of dough on top & press the edges together.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, then allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before removing.