250g bacon, chopped
½ brown onion, finely diced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
6 spinach (silverbeet) leaves, washed and roughly chopped
½ cup grated cheese
1 to 2 sheets puff pastry (or enough to make a crust covering the entire dish)
- Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celcius.
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and allow to thaw.
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion, chop bacon and slice mushrooms.
- Cook in a frypan until onion is soft.
- Rinse spinach and chop roughly. Add to pan and stir often.
- Once spinach is wilted, remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Arrange puff pastry in pie dish and pre-cook in oven until slightly puffed (about 10 min).
- Grate cheese.
- Beat eggs together in a small jug, add milk and cream, and stir to combine.
- Remove pie dish from oven and spread bacon mixture evenly over base.
- Top evenly with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture all over bacon mixture. Press down any bits that are not wet with egg mixture. They don't have to be covered, but they should at least be wet.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 min or until the cheese on top is golden, and the middle of the quiche is set.
(Sometimes if I am running out of time to serve dinner, I will bake it for as long as I can, and then stick it in the microwave for 4 min or so to finish it off. The pastry doesn't come out as flaky, but at least the middle of the quiche is set.)