October 19, 2008

Quiche!

This was the first ever quiche recipe I made and it has become a favourite. I can make it without the recipe easily now. What I like about it, is that you can tweak the ingredients to make it taste different. eg. I have made it with cut up sausages a few times.



Ingredients:

3 eggs
150ml milk
150ml cream
250g bacon, chopped
½ brown onion, finely diced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
6 spinach (silverbeet) leaves, washed and roughly chopped
½ cup grated cheese
1 to 2 sheets puff pastry (or enough to make a crust covering the entire dish)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celcius.
  2. Remove puff pastry from freezer and allow to thaw.
  3. Meanwhile, finely dice onion, chop bacon and slice mushrooms.
  4. Cook in a frypan until onion is soft.
  5. Rinse spinach and chop roughly. Add to pan and stir often.
  6. Once spinach is wilted, remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
  7. Arrange puff pastry in pie dish and pre-cook in oven until slightly puffed (about 10 min).
  8. Grate cheese.
  9. Beat eggs together in a small jug, add milk and cream, and stir to combine.
  10. Remove pie dish from oven and spread bacon mixture evenly over base.
  11. Top evenly with cheese.
  12. Pour egg mixture all over bacon mixture. Press down any bits that are not wet with egg mixture. They don't have to be covered, but they should at least be wet.
  13. Bake in the oven for about 45 min or until the cheese on top is golden, and the middle of the quiche is set.

(Sometimes if I am running out of time to serve dinner, I will bake it for as long as I can, and then stick it in the microwave for 4 min or so to finish it off. The pastry doesn't come out as flaky, but at least the middle of the quiche is set.)

6 comments:

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

This looks delicious. I love those recipes you end up memorising. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :D

Sumara said...

Mmmm quiche. You've inspired me to add this to the week's menu plan.

*adds stuff to shoppping list*

Ooh, cream! I've never used cream in a quiche before. But why not. You can never have too much cream! (actually, that is entirely untrue. Lots of cream can indeed be too much of a good thing.)

Anyway. Will make this tonight in fact.

*goes shopping*

Sumara said...

Yum! This was a good quiche. Even the girls gobbled it up - of course they left most of the spinach and mushrooms but those things were picked clean of all the other yummy stuff. And Noel's away so I got the lion's share of the dish. Woohoo.

Thanks Hayley. :)

HayleyB said...

Laura, you're most welcome. I love recipes that you end up memorising too, I don't know why, but it seems to make things more enjoyable to cook. Maybe because it seems easier. :)

Glad you liked it Sumara! Yes, too much cream can end up being a bad thing... this recipe originally had 300ml of cream, but I substituted half of it with milk to make it a little lighter. Glad the girls ate it too, and I bet Noel will be sorry he missed it.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

That sounds like a delicious quiche. I love the idea of the puff pastry for the crust. That makes it so much easier and quicker!

HayleyB said...

Thanks Lynn, the puff pastry does save time! I never make short-crust pastry when I make quiche, as my husband doesn't like it.