October 12, 2008

Potato and Bacon Pastry Parcels

I had this idea for a pastry parcel that incorporated potato and bacon, and this recipe is the result. We ate it with a side of salad for dinner.


Posted by Picasa

Ingredients
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
150g bacon, diced
1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
3/4 cup grated cheese
3 tsp sour cream
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Remove puff pastry sheets from freezer and thaw.
  3. Peel and dice potatoes into small pieces.
  4. Dice bacon.
  5. Thinly slice leek.
  6. Grate cheese.
  7. Cook potato, leek and bacon in a fry pan on high to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potato is cooked through (I think this took about 10 min). Remove from heat and allow to cool a little
  8. Transfer to a bowl, and add cheese and sour cream. Mix to combine.
  9. Cut puff pastry sheets into quarters (squares).
  10. Add enough potato mixture filling to make a nice pastry parcel.
  11. Seal edges of pastry parcels with either your fingers or a fork to press down along the edges.
  12. Bake in the oven for about 25 min or until pastry is puffed and golden.
  13. Serve hot, perhaps with a yummy salad or vegies on the side.

3 comments:

Sumara said...

Hey what a great idea Hayley. I reckon my girls would love something like those.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

This sounds delicious, three of my favourite ingredients! Your photography always makes me hungry :)

HayleyB said...

Thanks Sumara and Laura. I think smaller versions of these would probably be good as party food as well. Laura, I'm glad my photos make you hungry, as I feel that's what all food photography should do! Also, I'm trying to get better at food photography but it's a bit hard when there's no natural light (you know, since it's dinner, I'm cooking at night).