October 25, 2008

Chicken, Spinach, Bacon and Tomato Pie

This was another thrown together meal. I had some baby spinach and cherry tomatoes that were on the way to being unusable, so I thought I would throw them in a pie with a few other ingredients, and this is what I ended up with.

Posted by Picasa

Ingredients:

300g Chicken breast, cut into small pieces
100g Bacon
6 Silverbeet leaves (or equivalent amount of another type of spinach), roughly chopped
1 leek, washed and thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
1/2 small punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 can Creamed Corn
3 eggs, lightly beaten
150ml milk
3/4 cup grated cheese
2 sheets puff pastry, (or enough to cover the base and sides of the dish)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celcius.
  2. Thaw puff pastry, and arrange along the base and sides of the dish.
  3. Bake in the oven until slightly puffed (about 10 min), then remove from oven.
  4. Cook chicken, bacon, leek and celery in a fry pan over medium-high heat until chicken is browned.
  5. Add silverbeet leaves and stir in, cook until wilted. Remove from heat
  6. Add cherry tomatoes, and creamed corn and stir through.
  7. Mix eggs and milk in a jug.
  8. Spoon chicken/bacon mixture over puff pastry in dish.
  9. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
  10. Pour egg/milk mixture over the top of the pie, pressing down the mixture so that all ingredients are moistened with the egg/milk mixture.
  11. Bake in the oven for about 45min or until the centre is set.

6 comments:

Bpb LaGatta said...

I don’t know on how I stumbled upon this cooking blog., All I know is that I’d better check out the archives for a good read. Ha-ha! Just droppin’ to say hi!
Oh. You might want to check this out: http://www.technocooks.com for uhm...a different "menu."

Kay said...

Hi,
I've just popped over from Hungry and Frozen's blog to thank you for watching the video - the count has certainly gone up thanks to Laura and her foodie-friends.It all helps in cyber-petition kind of way, and is a great boost to the morale. Laura is the cook of the family, however I am inspired by your quiche with silver beet (have just planted some) and have added pastry to a mental shopping list. It looks easy and adaptable enough to use whatever needs using most in the fridge.

Cheers,
Laura's Mum

HayleyB said...

Bpb LaGatta, thanks for stopping by. I will check out the link.

Kay, thanks for visiting. It's great that the video is getting so many views thanks to everyone's combined efforts. I'm hoping it will make a difference! The quiche recipe is easy, and you're right, it is very adaptable. I often put whatever needs using most in there, I think I may have even put eggplant in it once. Again, thanks for visiting. I'm sure I'll see you around at Hungry and Frozen again soon!

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

*This* is just your casually thrown together type of meal? Looks gorgeous. I love the way you've arranged the pastry :)

Kay said...

Well, I've made a start - I've bought the puff pastry....

HayleyB said...

Thanks Laura, you can make anything look gorgeous when you arrange puff pastry in a decorative manner! lol.

Kay, you have now completed Step 1 of the process, step two is to buy eggs and so on until you have all the ingredients. I'd like to hear what you think of the taste when you get a chance to make it. :)