September 21, 2008

Mince and Rice Pie

I remembered that I told my good friend Sumara I was going to blog this, and just realised I haven't done so yet! So, here it is; Mince and Rice Pie.

The idea for this recipe grew as I was cooking it, I wanted to make something for dinner that I hadn't made before, and this is something I thought I could throw together without too much fuss. The best thing about this recipe (in my opinion) is that you can change the ingredients a bit to make a different flavour, so doesn't get too boring if you make it more than once in a week. Would go very well with a salad too.

I used a 28cm springform pan for this, greased with canola oil spray, and lined with baking paper, but I'm sure you could use any other similar sized pan, though you may not be able to get the pie out of the pan in nice wedge shapes. It tastes the same either way of course.


Ingedients:

500g Beef mince
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 carot finely chopped
1/2 zucchini finely chopped
2 cups beef stock
1 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup chopped sundried tomato
1/2 cup grated cheese
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
100g baby spinach

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
  2. Cook mince, garlic, and onion in a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients, drain any fat from the pan.
  3. Add carrot and zucchini and mix well.
  4. Add the stock and rice, and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat to allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes (or until rice is cooked).
  5. Stir in sundried tomato.
  6. Add beaten eggs and milk, stir to combine.
  7. Lightly grease and line a 28cm springform pan with baking paper, press pie mixture into pan.
  8. Top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for about 40 min or until the top of the pie is slightly golden.

2 comments:

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

oh glad you blogged this.. sounds delish! Will have to try it when we have zucchinis growing!

HayleyB said...

It is quite yummy! Let me know if your girls end up liking it as well.