It is delicious, I wish I could eat it every day! I made a couple of slight changes, but if you want to see the original recipe, click on the link above. Now, on with the recipe!
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 cup plain wholemeal flour, 1/2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a standard glass (8x5") loaf pan.
- Rinse, hull and cut the strawberries into quarters (or smaller pieces if you're using huge strawberries); place in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the vanilla and melted butter. Make sure the melted butter isn't too hot-just barely melted.
- Stir in the strawberries. Combine the two mixtures, blending until just combined.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.