July 28, 2008

Fresh Apple Cake

Told you I would cook something else other than cookies some time soon. (I think I like making cookies so much because they're so easy to make and fun to eat).

Anyway, here is an apple tea-cake type thing. It's quite tasty but it's nothing like those apple tea-cakes you get from Woolies, so if that's what you're after this recipe isn't what you're looking for. I have enjoyed this one as a morning tea or breakfast treat over the last few days. Great served warm with custard!



Ingredients
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbs milk
4 apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used Pink Lady Apples)
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 22 cm round cake tin.
  2. Beat together the sugar and eggs until thick and light.
  3. Beat in the oil and vanilla and milk.
  4. Stir in the apple.
  5. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices, then fold this into the apple mixture. Pour into the cake tin.
  6. Bake for 45 min.

2 comments:

Sumara said...

Oh dear Hayley, you've gone all American on me and started using flour plus baking powder and salt instead of self-raising flour! lol

That apple cake looks good! Reminds me of the apple cake my mum used to make. :) Might give it a go tomorrow actually, if I have enough apples...

HayleyB said...

I didn't realise that using plain flour + baking powder and salt was an American thing... Here I was thinking that the recipe book I got the recpie from was an Australian book... I guess not! Self-raising flour is definitely easier... you can't forget to put in the baking powder because it's already in there!

I'll make this cake again when I have some more apples, and when there aren't enough to try an apple pie (though that is something I want to try!).