Pear and Ginger Upside-down Cake
2 cups brown sugar
250g butter melted and cooled
3 packham pears, peeled, cored and chopped into thick slices
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp bicarb soda, sifted
2 and 1/2 cups plain flour sifted
2 tsp ground ginger
200g light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Lightly grease 2 8x4 inch loaf pans or one square 23cm cake tin. Line with baking paper.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the base of the prepared pan/s, pour 1/3 cup butter over sugar.
- Arrange pear slices in a single layer on top of the butter and sugar.
- Place remaining butter in a large bowl, mix in all the syrup, eggs, bicarb soda, flour, ground ginger and remaining sugar. Then mix in sour cream.
- Pour batter over pears.
- Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Stand for 10-15min, then turn out onto a platter and serve.