May 6, 2008

Yummy cake!

I made this awesome cake on the weekend. It was Pear and Ginger Upside-down cake. I made two of them in two small loaf pans (as the recipe called for one large-ish square cake tin, and I don't have one of those... and I didn't want to be bothered with halving the recipe). Yes, one of these delicious cakes went to work with my husband again. The other one got sampled and the rest of it got cut up and frozen for later! (I'm getting quite a lot of use out of my freezer, I think I need a bigger one!)



Pear and Ginger Upside-down Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups brown sugar
250g butter melted and cooled
3 packham pears, peeled, cored and chopped into thick slices
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp bicarb soda, sifted
2 and 1/2 cups plain flour sifted
2 tsp ground ginger
200g light sour cream

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Lightly grease 2 8x4 inch loaf pans or one square 23cm cake tin. Line with baking paper.
  2. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the base of the prepared pan/s, pour 1/3 cup butter over sugar.
  3. Arrange pear slices in a single layer on top of the butter and sugar.
  4. Place remaining butter in a large bowl, mix in all the syrup, eggs, bicarb soda, flour, ground ginger and remaining sugar. Then mix in sour cream.
  5. Pour batter over pears.
  6. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
  7. Stand for 10-15min, then turn out onto a platter and serve.

4 comments:

Sumara said...

Mmm yum. I don't normally like ginger... but with all that syrup, honey and sour cream, it must be good!

Amanda K said...

YUM that looks good! And woohoo, you're blogging!:D

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

ooooooooh YUM! that looks delish! Must buy some pears and try it!

HayleyB said...

I reckon you could leave out the ginger if you don't really like it. It's not overpoweringly gingery anyway, but you can still taste it, so I reckon you could leave it out. It would still be very tasty! It freezes well too!