May 11, 2008

Coconut Ice

I mentioned in my last post that I successfully made coconut ice. Well, here is the recipe:

Please note you will need to make this a day ahead, as it takes ages to set.


Coconut Ice

Ingredients
5 cups icing sugar
3 cups desiccated coconut
3/4 of a 395g tin of sweetened condensed milk
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
red food colouring

Method
  1. Lightly grease and line a 20cm square cake tin (I actually used a standard slice tin, but this recipe doesn't entirely fill one of those).
  2. Combine icing sugar and coconut in a large bowl, then add condensed milk, eggwhite and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
  3. Divide mixture evenly between two bowls, then add a few drops of red food colouring to one bowl and mix until combined (I actually had to knead the 'dough' to get the colouring to spread evenly. You will probably get red food colouring on your hands if you do this, but it washed off easily for me).
  4. Put pink mixture into the prepared pan, and press down, evening it out. Top with white mixture, pressing down to even out.
  5. Cover and either put in the fridge overnight to set, or leave it out on the bench. I left mine out on the bench and found that it set quite nicely.
  6. Next day, cut into squares or rectangles to serve.
You might be wondering what you are going to do with the rest of that can of sweetened condensed milk.... well, that's what I am wondering too. The left overs of mine is in the fridge, awaiting instruction. I figure I might use it in a cookie recipe, as I have seen cookie recipes that call for only two tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. I'll try and find one and post it for you so that the rest of your can doesn't go to waste... if you're desperate, you could always eat the rest by the spoonful!! (That's what hubby would probably be wanting to do if he realised there was any left!)

I presented my coconut ice in a box to my mum for mother's day, and she was thrilled (it's one of her favourites).

On another note, you know how I was attempting a baked custard tart and a banana cheesecake? Well they were supposed to be for mother's day to take when we were visiting my mother-in-law, but after all my efforts, I totally forgot to take them with us!! I was so annoyed because I realised that I didn't have them when we were almost there. We then had to stop off and get something frozen to have for dessert instead. We got Nanna's Apple Crumble and custard. Sorry Nanna, your apple crumble is nice, but it just doesn't cut it compared to something home made :(. I guess the desserts I made will have to go to work with hubby again if we can't find someone to come over and eat them in the next couple of days!

5 comments:

Hubby said...

Or hubby can just eat the left over sweetened condensed milk on it's own :)

HayleyB said...

Maybe.... that's if you can find it! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha hubby!, Know what u mean mmmMM condensed milk!!!
I stuck mine in the freezer to speed up the setting process, It work a treat lol.

Anonymous said...

That last comment is from Nyer btw

HayleyB said...

Yay! Nyer! Good to know the freezer helps. There's never enough room in my freezer to put slice, so I guess I'll have to stick with the fridge. :)